Using Knack for accounting / book keeping

Hi there

I've set up a Knack object to record financial transactions - basically a very, very simple book keeping / accounting database.

I have fields for Income type (e.g. donation) and amount, and expenditure type (e.g. utility bills) and amount. I have a report set up which totals all the income and all the expenditure.

What I'd like to be able to do is set up a report that combines both those things - so one that calculates the current balances from the totals of the income and expenditure columns.

Is that possible?

Has anyone else used Knack as a very simple accounting package?

Thanks

William, sorry I didn’t see your response until now. if you still need help this please contact me sam.admin at gmail.

HI Sam and Michael,

I've been searching for someone who has pulled together an accounting app in Knack and came across this thread. I currently use XERO as my accounting package for my business...but I don't need all the bells and whistles. I run my business via Knack and would like to also have the accounting done in it as well. Could you point me to where I could find a shareable accounting app in Knack to start?

Thanks.

Bill

How many objects do you have? Are there any connections? For example. I have:

Lot (Parent)

Charges (Child - Many Charges connect to one Lot)

Payments (Child - Many Payments connect to one Lot)

The Lot object has 3 Sum fields.

Total Charges (Sum of children charges)

Total Payments (Sum of children payments)

Balance (Total Charges - Total Payments)

If you don't have a parent object for your transactions, I suppose you could make one. Basically, you would have 1 parent for all your transactions.

Thanks for the reply Sam. That's exactly what I'm trying to do, but I can't figure out a way to total different fields other than using the report function which only allows one total at a time, and as far as I can see no formulas?

Can you explain the children objects bit for me?

Maybe I'm missing something entirely obvious!

Thanks

Michael

Michael, I have done something similar for a non-profit org.

I think all you are missing is another equation to find the difference between donations and expenditures. In my case it was 'Balance' and the equation was (Total Charges - Payments). The Total Charges and Payments were SUM fields of connected children objects.