Share Your Knack Favorites: What Feature Do You Love Most and Why?

Hello Knack Community! :wave:

We know that our community is full of talented individuals who have been using Knack to create amazing apps and solutions. Today, we’d like to hear from you about something about Knack that’s near and dear to your heart!

What’s your favorite feature within Knack, and why do you love it?

Whether it’s a specific tool, a handy function, or a game-changing capability, we want to know what makes your Knack experience special.

By sharing your insights, you not only help fellow community members discover new possibilities but also provide valuable feedback to our team.

Here are a few prompts to get you started:

• Is there a particular feature that has saved you time and effort in your app-building journey?
  • Have you found a feature that has greatly improved the user experience for your app’s audience?
  • Is there a hidden gem within Knack that you think more people should know about?

Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, and any tips or tricks you’ve picked up along the way. We can’t wait to hear what you have to say!

Remember, your feedback is not only appreciated but can also inspire others to explore new ways of using Knack. Share your Knack favorites in the comments below, and let’s celebrate the power of community knowledge and innovation together! :rocket:

1 Like

There are so many great features. For me this is an easy question, I’m on the same page as our good friend @Ranasha.

RULES :facepunch:

I’m sure that rules won’t be a surprise to anyone. They aren’t a hidden gem :gem: but they are the feature that does so much heavy lifting and automating quietly in the background :muscle:

When I’m building an application, I aim to build something thats intuitive to use and consistent in both operation and look and feel. However, the ultimate objective is to “simplify the complex”.

Rules enable me to achieve these goals.

Record Rules
Page Rules
Display Rules
Submission Rules

Where would we be without these doing such a marvellous job in the background. :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, Carl!

I agree and I’m thrilled to hear that Rules are serving you as well as they are! :partying_face:

1 Like

Hello. Here are my picks, all of which I live and breath by when building:

Conditional Rules: Setting a value based on something else. Incredibly powerful. On my YouTube channel I have a series called, “Fun with Conditional Rules”. There is no end to how creative you can get with these, and what you can accomplish and solve.

Text Formulas: Use them all the time. I do a lot of accounting related apps, and we need all kinds of special codes and combined values based on all kinds of things like market, product category, etc. Text formulas combined with conditional rules nails what we need done. Also great for drawing values from other tables, which there are all kinds of use cases where this is really important.

Page Rules: My main use for these is created shared details pages, where different content and functionality is hidden/shown base on the user. Saves a ton of timing building and maintaining content. Also use these a lot for forcing a user to accept new terms and conditions before using the app … there is a mountain of use cases for this and similar.

Couldn’t live without Tasks, Record Rules, Record Histories for troubleshooting, etc. But I’ll end my list here.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi, Dave!

Thank you so much for sharing your enthusiasm and your favorite features in Knack! It’s great to hear how these features have made a positive impact on your experience with the platform.

Your post will undoubtedly be a helpful resource for fellow users who are looking to maximize their Knack experience. :rocket:

Have a great week! :slight_smile:

I would echo the above from Carl and Dave! They cover the majority.

My contribution is:

API: Well documented, has a good set of connectors in tools like Make and Zapier, and is easy to learn for custom API calls

Filters: Aside from filters in general, field-specific filters in grids and in forms has been a gamechanger recently. Helps to reduce dropdown lists to records that are relevant (e.g. only clients that are active are selectable)

User role views: For my customers, they are always surprised to hear that pages and views can be shown to particular user roles, and the Builder makes this easy to configure.

4 Likes

I agree with @StephenChapman, the API is the feature that I love most.

With the API and Make, I can create nearly anything that my clients can imagine.

Knack and Make are my go to tools for making my clients happy!

5 Likes