Find where fields and objects are used in your application

Ever wondered where a Knack field is used? to which formulas it is connected? in which views it is used?

Well, have a look here: https://find.knack.com/definitions, which was built just for that :-)

It uses your Knack's application structure, maps all relevant connections, and displays them in a simple way which allows you to navigate between the different connections.

Try it, it is free :-)

Search options just got upgraded, allowing to search for all items by name or key (objects, fields, scenes, views and tasks).

Enjoy!

Nir

Nir - your the man! Thanks so much for the quick response!

This tool is awesome.

I am using it to clean up my app and get rid of unnecessary count/sum fields to speed up certain processes.

To use this tool, you are required to sign up with a user/password. If you do not already have an account for this app, press the Sign Up button at the bottom of the home screen and create a free account for yourself.

Hi

I am bit rookie around here, but would love to try this on my knack app.

When i go to the link, it asks me to login?

I thought it was a public app?

Ah, that's very clever (and a good find). Thank you for sharing that.

I certainly don't want to use it to try to make changes to the app. But I really feel uncomfortable with all the changes that my colleagues and I make being hidden in a maze of point+click things.

So the ability to access a full analysis of the app, and record it in Git or some other source-code-control system, is really desirable for me. This certainly gets me a huge amount closer to that goal!

Even better if Knack made a 'clean' version of this accessible through the API, separating out the 'current user' aspect.

But thank you, this is really helpful.

Ben

Hey Ben,

I'm glad you like this :-)

Basically, I'm using the same data structure that the Builder itself is using to create its screens. You can view this structure by going through the Knack javascript object while running your application. However, I would encourage you not to try and use this data to make changes to the application (assuming it was possible), unless Knack opens this up formally. If you really need to do this, I suggest you track the Knack operations that are executed by the builder when you submit a change, like a field creation, or an update to a view, though I would assume these actions will not run outside the context of your builder's session.

Hope this helps

Nir

Hi Nir,

Thank you, this is excellent!  Can you give some information about how it works? From what I can see of the API, it doesn't give access to much other than objects  and records - I couldn't even see how to programatically access the display name of a field, and I don't see any way to access get data about scenes and views.

As you know from this request, I'm very keen to be able to access this sort of data and more - can you give more information about how you're getting it?

Many thanks,

Ben

A new screen which provides a visual map of your application's structure has been added :-)

Drag it, click the items, zoom in/out, and basically, enjoy.

Please let me know if you find any issues.

Nir

@jens I added the origin object's name to fields, views and tasks, where needed. So for example, you should see the scene name next to each and every view. You should also see the record name, for fields when viewed from a different record.

Please try this out.

Brilliant work!! :-)

If you have a couple of hours to spare ;-) ;-) ... have a look at my comments from Dec 4 21:25.

Again, this is such an awesome tool to navigate your app during the building phase!!

//Jens

Wanted to share some of the latest changes:

- Added a tooltip to the links to better indicate their meaning. The left link points to references to an object within the App. The right link points to the Builder for quick access to an object.

- On the Search Fields selector, added a reference to the origin of a field. This simplifies identifying multiple fields with the same name, which reside in different records.

In addition, I'm working on a graphical view (Entity Relation Diagram) of this application. Stay tuned :-)

Have a look again please William, it should be okay now.

Please send me a direct email to findknackfields@gmail.com if you find more issues.

Thanks

Nir

Thanks Nir.

I tried putting in my Application ID but all I got was 

But even after waiting 10 minutes I got no further output :-(  Should it take this long, or is there a problem or have I done something wrong ?

Hi William,

I'm not aware of any security issues, or privacy issues, with the tool. The submitted application ID is only used for retrieving the application's structure, and nothing but that. It can not be used in any way to view or modify your application's data. To the best of my knowledge, an ID can not be changed, and can be repeatedly used to view a current structure of an application.

The tool was built with good faith, to help Knack developers ease their work. I will leave it up to you to decide how you wish to benefit from this work.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with :-)

Thanks

Nir

I've been wanting a tool like this for a long time !

However before I submit my application ID etc and try it out I'd like to know

- are there any security / privacy issues with using this tool ?

- does the tool modify any data in my application or database ?

- does the tool have permanent or just temporary access (while it does it's job) to my application ?

Cheers

William

Brilliant!! let me know if you need any input or help :-)

//Jens

Thank you Jens :-)

The basic idea behind this tool was to show simple correlation between objects in Knack, and where they are used. For that reason, only immediate relations are presented, like a field to a task, or a view to a scene, but not a field to a scene, or a task to the application. 

I will look for a simple way to present these additional associations without adding too much chaos into the tool.

I really appreciate the comments and input on this one, excellent discussion :-)

Cool!!

Sorry about this... :-) but i like this one a lot! 

• What about when clicking an object, also displaying the scenes in the used_by column
  • What about on the first page, also listing the tasks

The beauty with this tool is that if you make a change to an object, you should be able to find all the places this object is used. And then go to these places with the tool!

//Jens

Just added an option to search for fields.

Check it out :-)