Feedback Request: would you like to see a plugin marketplace?

Indeed. Understandable.

But it is the way to go, as others are doing like Google Data Studio and WordPress.
A plugins store is very atractive for builders, coders and final clients.
I have a software client who trashed its finisehd online shop new product (that sync to its POS software) because customers really needed a personalized grafic line and lot of diferent functionalities, that only WooCommerce (on WordPress) already has and could offer.

1 Like

A Knack competitor (copier) just launched an innovative Plugins for their builder, and soon a Plugins marketplace. Watch the video. It works like Wordpress Plugins.

That is the way. Full speed on that Knack!!

Brandon, 2014
“We’re thinking about creating a formal plugin architecture where developers could create plugins for the Knack community to use.”

1 Like

I watched the video recorded by a former Knack builder (Tim Young of Tadabase), the plug-ins look great, simple to install and offering some great functionality. Be great to see this one day.

1 Like

Hm, interesting.

From what I can tell in the video, the plugins for Tadabase just add JS and CSS to the app, and Knack already supports adding JS/CSS.

I would love to understand what Tadabase plugins are accomplishing that cannot already be accomplished with JS/CSS snippets. Is it the fact that they are self-contained, browsable/discoverable, free, etc? Can somebody share their perspective?

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts :wink:

1 Like

Yes indeed. It is the whole point of Knack as a NO-CODE platform.

In an ideal state, the best no-code platform would have its coding Api window EMPTY because all the funcionalities or details would have been activated/modified through self-contained or browsable tools in the builder.

Like most probably 99% of WordPress websites have their WordPress Api window empty.

:warning: We all know the time it takes to look for the #ID of views/fields in order to include them in the API code JS/CSS. When you use a Plugins widget on a page, it automaticaly includes them, and we save time and human errors.

1 Like

We’ve been aware of Tadabase for a long time now. As I understand from conversations with Moe, the CEO, he was was a Knack user and got frustrated with speed of development, performance and reliability. (How could that possibly happen…?), and decided to do his own thing. Just titling him as a ‘copier’ isn’t that fair really, unless you want to call Knack a copier of Caspio. Essentially the low-code/no-code database platforms are all addressing the same problem, and will be similar in scope and operation. We very nearly switched had it not been for lockdowns etc., but we deemed it recreating the wheel to move, and Knack have been making more progress of late. On the other hand Tadabase seem to be forging on quite quickly. I dont know about the relative size of their development teams, but they seem to havea focus and direction that is advancing them really quickly. We’re still at the point that our Knack app works, and although we want to see some more, more, more from them, it wouldn’t be worth us switching unless we really hit a big brick wall.

1 Like

IMHO, big slow strategic changes were made by Knack - new builder and performance environment - in order to have more flexibility for innovation and features and develop them quickly. Those structural changes were really big and with a very direct impact on builder and user experiences.

But the quicker features development is not there yet.

New management is working hard reorganizing and hiring more talents, so keep up the efforts!! The new features already rolled-out are nice, and the bigger Team keeps this valued Knack friendly and supportive culture.

If history is a precedent:
Slower you develop, more competitors you create.
Faster you develop, more talents you attract (and merger and adquisition of competitors).

Go Knack!!

Johnny Parsons has a fantastic Knack marketplace with new features every week. :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

2 Likes

Knack social media publications are ON FIRE :fire:.
Nearly daily, very interesting and highly professionally crafted.
Not easy to achieve.

:clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! We really appreciate your feedback. Our team has been working hard to deliver the best content to represent Knack and all it has to offer! :clap:

1 Like

Thanks for the mention

1 Like

well well well… The title was dropped. Very good!

I believe right now are only the Knack ones. May it grow and connect/integrate between Apps.
The icon selected for the Template Marketplace is the correct one!
Like a puzzle. Templates integrate with each others, and data flows between them.

It is time to actualize all the old screen shots of the Templates with the modern and beautiful ones from the new builder.

CRM Solution Page

CRM Template Page

And logicaly when we now download the templates we get the modern design ones.

Unfortunately the downloadable Templates are not actualized to the new modern design.
Urgent to do it my friends!
It is EASY.

I was browsing in the Knack.com beautiful and well explained actualized solutions page and pages… very nice job!!
https://www.knack.com/solution-inventory/

In “By Industry” I selected the Professional Services, and at the end of the page it is indicated: “Templates for Professional Services”

At this time, each downloaded Template creates its own database; meaning those very useful Industry Templates offered for 1 company will have its data dispersed among many databases. That is a big inconvenient my friends.

I think this image represents 1 App (template/database) with different tables, not the builder with different Apps (templates/databases). I might be wrong.

Maybe soon, Templates could offer the option to be downloaded
a) creating a new App (database) or
b) inside an existing App.

The b) option seems more delicate and complicated, but absolutely necessary.
Who wants to have that many databases for modules/plugins/templates used ?

The Templates data must be able to integrate in 1 database.
I am sure you know it and are working on it.

Go Knack!!

We should have a very useful webinar on
Connections: Building Relationships Between Apps/Templates.

erased post

One way that seems not that complicated, would be to use the Copy fields funcionality to copy fields from a downloaded Template App to an other App.

actual

proposal

Same idea for copying Pages from a Template App to an other App.

1 Like

Hi, Michael!

Yes, this would be a great feature and this request has been shared with the Product team. I’ll be sure to share any updates on this in the forum!

Thank you and have a great rest of your week!

1 Like