Automatically creating reports

I have a report table that is populated by a form. That form has two different areas of compilation. One is filled by one user account, and the other is created by another user account.

What I want to be able to do is each month have a report appear in the dashboard of both users so they can fill in the report. I am pretty sure I can work out all the usual hooks in workflow, but I am struggling to understand how I can make the system auto create a report on the 1st day of each month. I would want it to create one for every Client in the system that has specific attribute (live / not live set via a connected field in the Client table).

Thanks for any tips.

Hi, @GSH !

Thank you for sharing your question! I would love to try to help you with brainstorming on this, however, I would like to make sure I’m understanding what you’re trying to accomplish first before making any suggestions. :slight_smile:

This is what I’ve collected from your explanation of your workflow:

• You have a table that is named Reports and users can submit records to it via form submission.

• You have a multi-part form where one type of user submits data and another type of user (assuming a different user role) submits more data to the Report table.

• For each of those user types, you have separate pages for them to access and you would like a dashboard to be shown on each page where they can submit a form to fill out a Report record.

• You also want a Report (assuming a report view) to be automatically generated at the first of each month for every Client (user role) in your system that has a specific field value in a connection field.

Please let me know if any of that is not valid, and we can go from there. If you find that it might be easier to share your app with someone to explain your ideal workflow in greater detail, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team. They will be happy to help as well!

Happy Knacking!

Bullet 1, yes
Bullet 2, yes
Bullet 3 - I have no problem creating a dashboard view for the person. The Reports table has 2 fields, each field represents a persons submission that is then controlled by a unique view on data input where they are only shown the field value they need to complete.
Bullet 4 - yes, this is the bit I am interested in. How to get knack to automatically create a new record on the 1st of each month, for every Client that is live on the system it would then automatically be flagged in each use account who would then fill in their bit.

Thank you for the additional explanation @GSH!

My first thought would be to schedule a monthly task to insert a connected record. However, without having a look at your current setup, it’s hard for me to say if that would accomplish your goal based off of the info I’ve learned about your current workflow here in this thread.

If that method won’t work with your current setup, you may need some custom code implemented to accomplish this or utilize Make or Zapier to create this workflow. I recommend checking out our Knack Expert network for further assistance with building this out if you don’t get the answers you need here from anyone in this thread.

Best of luck and happy Knacking! :slight_smile:

That worked a treat!

1 Like