Trying to create a simplified pie chart

We have a multi-choice field with many options (60+). Users can choose up to three of them. We then use a Pie Chart Report View to show selection totals and corresponding percentages. (Currently the options are set up on their own data table so that we can add and archive options as needed.) All good so far.

For ease of client understanding, I would like to create larger groups where we bundle selections together. To use the car analogy, I’d like to bundle all the truck selections under “Trucks,” all of the sedans under “Sedans,” etc. Then ideally we could create a simpler pie chart with only 5 or 6 regions instead of 60.

I’m having a devil of a time finding a way to automate this. Any suggestions? All thoughts are good thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Hi Joseph,
not sure if I’m over simplifying this, but on the options table can’t you just add a ‘grouping’ field, so every option has a corresponding grouping. You could then have a Text Formula field under the option field on the main record that pulls through the ‘grouping’ value. Then you use that for your pie charts.
Or to go a step further / cleaner have the groupings as a new table (with each option connected to a grouping), then each option selected has a record rule that connects the selection to the grouping. Then it is more filterable / dynamic etc.
Hope that helps!
Hugo

Hi Joseph:

I am having the same issue - the breakdown are showing all combinations of the multi-choice field. I am seeking to find a way to only breakdown by the choices instead of combinations.

Did you find a way to solve this?

Jae