Record assigned to logged-in user

I can’t imagine this isn’t a standard option, but I’ve searched high and low and can’t see that it is. I have a simple custom time tracking object in a company app. In that object, I have a User field that’s the drop down that displays all users, which the user must select themselves for every entry. Is there no field that is “Current User”? There’s no reason for an employee to see all the other employees when they would only record time for themselves. It’s especially troublesome because each employee can only see their own entries, so if they were to make a mistake and select a different employee, it wouldn’t even display for them. I checked the two pre-designed time tracking Knack apps, and they seem to work using the drop down method that displays all users as well.

Is there not an option for a field to either 1) automatically attribute a record to the User who submitted it, or 2) have the User drop down default to the logged-in user.

Maybe this will help:

And this:

Thank you, but those are already setup ;). I have the Connection to the Users:

knack2

and I have the setting selected to only allow the Users to view their own records (I have tested this and it does work).
trackmyhours4

I’m looking for a way when the employee/user is entering data into the form (via the form created with the above setting to where the new record is “connected to the logged in user”), that only the logged in user displays on the list, instead of all employees – or at a minimum, the logged in user is defaulted to the list.:

I’ve reviewed all the setting, inputs, and rules for the form, field and object, but can’t find anything that works. I’ve also reviewed all the FAQ’s related to objects, users, fields, multiple choice, etc. without success.

I’m baffled as it seems there would be so many databases/objects where the logged-in user would be the default form user.

Maybe this one will get you there?

In particular, at the end entitled “Track Which User Last Updated a Record - Knack Knowledge Base

Hi Amber,

The logged-in user settings will not prevent multiple names from appearing in the User drop-down. It is designed to allow you to remove the User field altogether so that the user is not required to choose their own name; the system will automatically assign the user that is logged-in.

This is what I’m looking for, but can’t determine how to implement. For example, I assumed I would set it up as a “Read Only” field. However, the instructions (Add Read-Only Fields to a Form - Knack Knowledge Base) Knack provides appear to be old?

Here is the screenshot of the Knack instructions for adding a Read-Only field:

However, that Read Only selection box for the form field is not present in my builder tool:

I thought perhaps it has to do with the field type; however, I only have one option to use the Connection field type since it’s a connection.

Are you aware of another way to implement this – I do need the record to contain/display the User info as I need to run reports and view the data by user since it’s related to employee payroll/timesheets.

UPDATE: I did figure out these Read Only fields only apply to a record being edited – not a record first being input. SOLUTION below.

Okay, I think I figured it out. Solution:
I created two different forms:

1. Employee Input: I did not include the User field in this form. There isn’t a way to display the user on the form itself, but I created a column in the Employee View that displays the connection “Name” so the employee can see that record is assigned to them.
  2. Management Input and Edit forms: I did include the User field in these forms in case the Manager (me) needs to edit anything.

I also figured out my reply above about Read Only fields only applies to a record being edited – not a record first being input.

I do wish there was a “read only” field I could add to a form when it comes to connection data – it would be very helpful for pre-populated information such as the User Name to display on the form the user is entering.

Thank you everyone for your help in getting me to the solution!