Provide public documentation and access to /hooks API (webhooks)

Currently, only Zapier and Integromat have access to documentation/instructions on how to utilize the /hooks API to set up webhooks sent on record creation/update/delete. It would be very beneficial for developers such as myself to gain access to documentation on how to use this API, so that we may use it to receive these same webhooks in our own applications. It would be particularly useful for real time applications that require server-side code to run immediately upon actions performed to records.

2 Likes

Access to all/most webhooks is an increasingly popular demand.

Strange and highly disappointing that even after so many years, Knack doesn't allow its customers to avail this feature, especially when it already exists internally, in some form!

Update: Based on my own testing, the "[User Role] is Created" webhooks only fire when the User Role is created as a primary form action, like the Sign Up page. If it's a secondary action, triggered by the "Record Rules", it doesn't fire (and if it does fire, it seems to be missing the payload, so you can't really do anything with it).

You're better off using the "[User Role] is Updated" webhook, and filtering accordingly.

Yes, I agree. In fact, that's a security concern I hadn't even considered previously. Having rogue webhooks that you have no control over.

Weird coincidence. I was just building in Integromat, set up a webhook, couldn't determine how to figure out if it was setup correctly, and landed here on a Google search.

Clearly there's a documentation gap around Knack webhooks. Even just being able to see (and thus stop) the webhooks on my account would be great.

I just wanted to bump this task since it’s something that would be incredibly helpful for us developers. Any chance this is in the project roadmap?

1 Like

Same question:
Is there a plan/possibility for this to ever be implemented?

Just piling on here - could you please consider opening this up?

Especially now that client-side javascript is public, so we need this to call any secure API from an action occurring in Knack.

My specific use case is to sync a Knack table with a table in a software we are developing such that if an insert/edit occurs on the Knack side an api call is made to our new software.

2 Likes

Backing this up. For us users of the external API there seems to be many things that could use some improving, and having hooks would just be so much better. Knack, please listen to your users!

1 Like

I am going to bump this post as now that we have new ownership, I hope they might consider a Webhook a necessary feature to keep up with all other modern systems and integrations.

1 Like

Thanks everyone - I’m going through these requests and use cases. I’ll come back to you after I do a write up and meet with the team.

1 Like

@Kara has there been any progress on Webhooks? We have a highly customized experience for an Entertainment Center client with 100+ locations to manage Store Hours, Attraction Availability, etc. which can change very frequently.

We use https://netlify.app for the front-end of the website while park operators use Knack to manage this information via an “Intranet” we’ve built.

Netlify is a robust service but without webhooks from Knack we’ve resorted to just re-deploying the website every 30 minutes to ensure the latest information is reflected. This works, but is costly & inefficient. We ideally want to trigger updates to specific parks only when they update their information in Knack which would trigger a webhook.

If not webhooks is there another approach we should take to trigger deployments on our side only when updates are make in Knack?

1 Like