Knack generated emails not received

At log in screen, if a user hits FORGOT password link, a message is displayed to the effect that an email has been sent with a REST PASSWORD link or instructions.

Those emails are not being received. They are not in spam folders. Can I check the send history somewhere for this type of system generated KNACK email?

is there some other issue I should be looking for?

Thanks
Peter

Hi Peter, I recommend contacting support@knack.com so they can investigate further.

1 Like

Thanks for that suggestion Carl .

I was hoping to give them a rest for a while because Iā€™ve been hitting them up quite a lot lately :wink:

Best

It may be that their mail server is blocking it before it even gets to the users mailbox? :man_shrugging:
I have a client that has a very strict policy which initially stopped the emails from being delivered.

Yep. Good thought. Absolutely possible. I want to first confirm that things are working ok out of Knack.

Just did a ā€œforgotā€ request on a client app and the email arrived within a couple of seconds to my Gmail account :+1:

Hi Peter - Iā€™d reach out to support directly on this one, so we can take a look at the email delivery history (which is not accessible on your end for forgot password emails). This will allow us to provide you with some information on the status of the email sent, and will clue us in to whether itā€™s an issue on Knackā€™s end, or the receiving end (typically this is the case).

Your options usually come down to domain whitelisting, and/or an update to the settings on your email domain providerā€™s side.

Hope that helps give you an idea of next steps for troubleshooting!

Done. Referred to support.

2 Likes

Had exactly the same issue with two of my seperate Knack apps, no users recieving emails for password reset before. Reached out to support once and they said it was an issue on the recievers end but not sure how that can be true of everyone!

Hi @Naomi - Did you try whitelisting your domain? Unfortunately this will be true for many customers, but thankfully this does the trick! Copying in the information from that whitelist request page, since it explains whatā€™s going on well. Hope that helps.

With SPAM and email spoofing becoming a bigger problem every year, companies are continuing to implement more and more strict rules around what email theyā€™ll accept. The days of sending email and putting whatever address you want as the From header, are very numbered.

One of the most common methods in combating email spoofing is known as DKIM which involves adding some unique DNS records for the domain youā€™re sending from to confirm.

Some email systems also implement a rule where the first email from a new domain is ignored until a further one is received. Sometimes they also include a delay in processing the first email.

Yahoo! is particularly prone to this - the first email from a new domain can take days to arrive, or not at all if a second one isnā€™t forthcoming.

1 Like

I went through Knack support and followed thru on this @Naomi .

What is happening is that Knack is sending emails that list YOUR email address as the sender. This triggers all sorts of spam alarm bells as it is termed ā€˜email spoofingā€™

The solution is that Knacks email servers need to be listed as properly authorised to send emails on behalf of your email address. This will require some adjustments to the way your email is configured. Almost certainly you will need to contact your email provider to help you do this.

Knack support can give you the details of the information you will need to supply to your email provider
Hope that helps.

There is another possible scenario here which Iā€™ve encountered - we had exactly this issue, with users requesting a reset password link that never arrived. We looked at everything, including whitelisting domains, asking users to check spam folders etc without any resolution. Then one day I asked a user to send me screenshots of their log-in attempts, and noticed that they were trying to access a page which they did not have authority to access. It turned out that when users try to type the URL from memory - because they have lost the link or havenā€™t bookmarked it, the URL would autocomplete to a page in the app, but not necessarily one that they have permission to access. (Might be a google thing?). When this happens, no email is sent because their email address is not recognised as a valid user for that page. This is always the first thing I check now and send users a valid link, and have had no further recurrence since.

1 Like

Thanks, all! Iā€™ve tried whitelisting and I think itā€™s sorted!

1 Like