Custom Domains

Hi there! Thanks for posting and for reaching out to get some answers around custom domains.

In short - there are some technical limitations that have made supporting custom domains non-viable at this time. We’re balancing trade offs when it comes to the decisions we make for providing the best user experience for our builders and their live app users, while always considering security and engineering best practices.

I’d like to address some of the issues that have been brought up about embedded apps, which would be our recommendation in the absence of a custom domain offering.

1. We are releasing an update very soon that will allow builder to choose their embedded apps’ login method. See more on how that will work here.

2. We love to spread brand awareness for Knack, but that’s not our angle here. Wherever we can provide white-labeling, we will, but sometimes our hands are tied (as is in the case of the cookies login option for embedded apps). I’d encourage a quick read of this post by Google to understand the stance taken by them and other browsers recently on building a more private web.

3. SSO should work for embedded apps in most cases. @Vincent94744 - have you reached out to support on this? We are limited in the resources we can provide to troubleshoot SSO and embedded apps due to the unknowns of your third party software, but we’ll try and point you in the right direction!

4. While there are some known issues with the design, this article section in our knowledge base should help you identify the best CMS to host your embedded your apps on (see further down on that article for troubleshooting tips and links to our dev docs as well). We’re also working on some live app updates in an effort to continue to modernize our live apps, which could potentially make them more compatible with some of those host platforms.

We’ll do our best to support you in providing the best live app experience for your users. I hope this information helps more broadly, but do reach out to support@knack.com if you have any questions or issues specific to your app.