Bar chart - Donations Received Against Goal

Hi there, I'm still a bit new to Knack and I'm having some trouble with something that seems simple. It involves a donations graph of amount received in pledges and cash, vs the total goal.

I'd like to generate a column-bar chart where the left side shows the Goal amount ($2,000,000). And then two bars show 1) amount pledged, and 2) amount received.

All I have is an object that has one record. The fields are: Total Goal, Amount Pledged, Amount Received, % Pledged, and % Received. The user simply has to enter the amounts into each field of that one record, that's it. No other calculations.

For the life of me, I can't get the left side (Total Goal) to show the $2,000,000 that the user enters. It will put the written label there, but it chooses it's own scale...setting the bars against $1.5 million instead. The client just wants to see their the amounts they enter on a graph compared to their total goal they entered.

Is there any way to do this? Thanks so much for any help!

Hey Bill, thanks again for your help. I needed to remove this graph since it wasn't an essential part of the app and we needed to go live asap. But when I have time to play with it a little bit I will certainly give your set up a try. When I do, I'll post back here to let you know my results or additional questions. Much appreciated.

it shouldn't matter that they don't need to be summed. Try setting it up the way I have it. The sum of those fields will just end up being the amount b/c there is nothing to sum.

Alex, another way might be to have a third amount set as the goal - so there'd be three bars:

1. Goal
  2. Amount pledged
  3. Amount received

To do that, maybe add a field to the Campaign named Goal (currency), add $2,000,000.00 to the field then add that to your column chart?

Not exactly what you're after but visually might be enough?

So I guess maybe a simpler question would be if there's any way to set the scale of the Y axis.

Hi BIll,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look. For this client, they only need the report for viewing purposes and doesn't need to calculate anything. Maybe it's too 'simple' haha.

Here's a screenshot. All they want is the ability to have $2,000,000 scale on the left, and the amount pledged/amount received as bars. Update the amount pledged / received with the new number and have the graph show the bars.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

It's a little difficult to say why it's not working without seeing how you have it setup. I have a similar bar graph that shows goals v/s actual. Below is how I have the report setup and it works.

If you go to options and check "hide empty groups" then it typically makes your graph a lot cleaner. But it can also make it seem like it's not working. The reality is there isn't data to make it work.

Hope that helps. If not then put a screenshot on here and that should help