Ability to perform a global search in Knack builder

I would like to make a request for the Knack Builder to be enhanced to allow the live app Developer to perform a global search for text and especially data fields used in the Pages Object.

This is especially useful when changes to Data Object schema will require the Developer to make corresponding changes across the numerous Pages Objects (e.g. add or amend to existing rules conditions).

The current set up does not have this capability, therefore the Developer will need to manually move from page to page to locate the settings. Takes too long and very error prone.

TQ.

Hey Alvin

Have a look here: http://find.knack.com/definitions, should do what you are asking for.

Thanks

Nir

Hi Nir,
I know its been 2 years since you last replied :rofl:
But thank you for your reply.
I tried using the Definitions app that you build about 1 year ago, and it works fine…
However, I tried using it again lately but it tells me that its retrieving the application structure, but nothing happens thereafter.
I copy-pasted in the App ID as per the instructions theoretically it should be fine.
I am not sure what is a private subdomain, so I left it blank.
Thanks.
Alvin

Not for me?

Hi Marc,
Thank you for your feedback. Can I pick on your experience using Definition app - as I am trying to trouble shoot my problem :grin:

I got the Application ID from the Settings-API & Code section of the live app env. that I want to get an analysis for. I am not sure what is the Private Subdomain about, but I left it blank. Then I clicked Next… and the screen has been showing the following ever since… (I have re-tried it several times with the same outcome)…

I also tried keying in my Knack live App URL ( obtained from Settings-App Setting-App URL) and placed that into the Private subdomain field as a test… the outcome is still the same…

I am totally perplexed. Any thoughts what else I can try?
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Alvin

Hi Alvin,

It turns out that your application has a view_575 that does not have a name. ‘Find’ failed while trying to match the view’s name. I fixed the code such that ‘find’ wont crash. You could try this again on your app. I do suggest that you have a look at that view and change it as you see fit :slight_smile:

Thanks
Nir

Hi Nir,
Great to hear from you. TQVM for your kind assist. I will retry the Definition app again, and fix the error in my code that I did not even realize had a missing name :grin:

thanks.

Alvin

Nir,
Just re-run Definitions… it works great :+1:
Question… is there a way I can export the definition out to a file ? (eg. a CSV file or equivalent)?
Thanks.

Hey Alvin,

I can build a CSV export into ‘Find’, but I’m not sure about the value of such a feature as the structure of a Knack App is quite complex. Can you elaborate on your use case? I got a similar request in the past, where the intention was to use the CSV export in tools like Tableau for scaled graphical visualization.

Thanks
Nir