Timed auto-insertion of rows labelled with sequentially appropriate date - is it possible? 🤷‍♀️

Hi all,

I’m thinking of creating a spreadsheet for my coaching clients, with columns for different goals, and rows for the dates they want to accomplish steps along the way. But as time passes the timings on the x-axis will go out of date.

Is there a magic Javascript way to insert a new row, with the appropriate new date, automatically, at the end of each month and week?

Here’s a pic of a similar spreadsheet (so you can see what I mean).

An ‘end of Dec’ row could be inserted at the end of this month. And ‘end of Jan’ row inserted at the end of next month etc. so they’re always planning x months ahead.

Same for the weekly goals.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

1 Like

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You can connect your Knack app to Google Sheets using a third-party service called Make or Zapier. These services let you connect apps together, and trigger workflows such as “when X happens, do y.” For example, you can do things like:

• “When a Knack form is submitted, create a new row in the spreadsheet”
  • “At the end of each month, create a new row in the spreadsheet”
  • Etc.

Depending on your business requirements, there might be better solutions to your problem. You may be able to avoid spreadsheets altogether by creating a Knack portal, then your coaching clients can sign into their accounts and view/update their own data.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for my slow response – been a crazy week.

Yes, I apologise, I didn’t explain my question very well. I don’t actually want to work with an Excel sheet: Rather, I want to recreate the experience of this goal-tracking sheet within Knack – with new fields appearing for 6 months ahead, and 12 months ahead, as time passes.

Just wondering if I’d need to insert some Javascript to accomplish that, or if it’s doable ‘out of the box’.

Thanks for advice!

Hi Anna,

Thanks for the info. In that case, Knack has a feature called Tasks. Tasks are workflows that can run on a scheduled basis (daily, weekly, monthly). You can define the logic as needed e.g. “Insert a record at the end of each month” and so forth. Tasks are available on the Pro plan and above.

Best