New! Import from Excel

We’re excited to announce a powerful new feature for Knack - importing Excel files directly into apps alongside .CSV files!

This update provides expanded data flexibility and enables new use cases for building apps, while avoiding the time-consuming conversions to CSV first.

By supporting both modern (.xlsx) and classic (.xls) Excel formats, we ensure broad compatibility with files you already rely on everyday.

Notes:

• In a workbook with multiple tabs, we will import the first (left-most) tab
  • Values in cells are imported. Cell formatting, such as bold, colors, and font formats are not imported.
  • Due to the differences between Excel and Knack formulas and syntax, formulas are not preserved on import, but the values are.
  • Images in an Excel file will not import.
  • Classic .xls formats are supported alongside modern .xlsx.
  • If your imported sheet does not contain the data you were expecting, there may be hidden worksheets in your Excel workbook. To import the correct data, un-hide all hidden worksheets and move your desired worksheet to the first position.

Cheers!
Kara

10 Likes

Great!! At one time I did go through this time-consuming conversion to CSV first.

“expanded data flexibility and enables new use cases for building apps”
very much indeed!!

Go Knack!

3 Likes

:+1: Excellente nouvelle, je suis ravie de voir les nouvelles évolutions et fonctionnalités sur Knack ! Continuez comme ça.

Translation:
Great news, I’m delighted to see the new developments and features on Knack! Keep it up.

4 Likes

This is great. Now we just need to be able to do it from the app.

2 Likes

Hi Anand!
You can import an Excel file directly in the app to create a new table, or into an existing table :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Sorry, i should have been more clear. It would be nice if it could be done from the Live App (not database side)

1 Like

On the same line, it would be very useful to add the Excel format to export the data.

1 Like

When importing a workbook with multiple tabs, Knack will import the first (left-most) tab. Values in cells are imported, but cell formatting (bold, colors, font formats) is not imported. * Excel formulas are not preserved on import, but the values are imported. Images in an Excel file will not be imported.

2 Likes