How to work with translations?

Hi! Is it possible to translate everything so I can create pages in that language (both field titles and descriptions but also the database content)?

My use case: I have a company + employee + projects database. I have different local domains to show this information on (like UK, Dutch, German). Some companies are in multiple countries and when they are I would like to have their descriptions and contact details translated/localized.

Thanks a bunch, 9212952708 - I took your advice.  For anyone looking at this thread in future, using LocalizeJS does indeed prevent the Google Translate widget from working.

Last I tried. Make sure you are pasting it in the html editor and not the text editor, empty your cahce. If you are and it still doesn't work then create a second app with no other code and see if it works there. Tehn, you'll know if your code is creating a conflict.

9212952708 is the Google Translate option still working for you?  I was able to insert the widget, but it had no effect on the contents of the page.  We do use LocalizeJS, so it could be that there's some kind of conflict, but I wanted to check in with you first.  Thank you! - Laura

You can add google translate to any page by adding rich text view, clicking on the html editor and pasting in the following code:

<div id="google_translate_element"></div>

<script type="text/javascript">
function googleTranslateElementInit() {
new google.translate.TranslateElement({pageLanguage: 'en'}, 'google_translate_element');
}
</script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="//translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit"></script>

I was able to implement it on knack. Amazing app!

Nick, would you mind sharing your code? Tks!

We are using LocalizeJS for our application and we do translate all field data. e.g. multi choice fields, description. It does take a few adaptations from FR to EN but generally works well and super-fast.

Does anyone managed to use a translator app in order to also translated the recorded data?

Hi Gabby,

That looks like that can be used to translate the application texts, but I am talking about the content in the database.

So for example: I have companies added as a knack object. One of these fields is "Company description" which needs to be different based on the URL where we implement it (In the UK it will be English, in The Netherlands it needs to be a description in Dutch). Another example is the address: if that company has a local address, we need to be able to show a UK  address on our UK site and a Dutch address on the Dutch website.

So basically for each field I need to have a standard/ default input but also the option to translate it into X languages.

How can I do this with Knack?

Hi Guido,

There are two options for translating your Knack app.

Display your Live App in a single language

You can control your Live App’s language from your app’s settings. This translates the text that you do not have the ability to change without custom code, such as login buttons. Any text that you can edit through the Builder, such as menu buttons or view titles, must be changed manually.   

Available languages for this include:

• English
  • Spanish
  • Portuguese (Brazilian)
  • French
  • Italian
  • Dutch
  • Czech
  • Swedish
  • Danish
  • Norwegian
  • Turkish (coming soon)

Want to see your language as an option or help us update a current translation? Help us out with the translations.

Localize your Live App to display in a number of different languages

Using LocalizeJS, you can have your Live App displayed in different languages depending on where the logged-in user is located. This works great if your desired language is not covered with our in-app selections and for global organizations that have users in many different countries with different languages.

Even though Localize requires some Javascript code setup, it’s easy enough that most non-programmers can do it too!

Click here for find instructions for setting this up.