Email on add

I’m trying to have an email automatically sent to recipients when a new “Organization” is added by a user from the Add Organization form…
I am able to do this with no problem but I want to automatically include a link to the newly added Organization record so when the recipient receives the email all he/she has to do is click the click taking him to the new record.

Ed

Here’s how I was able to achieve what I think you’re after but I’m not sure if it bypasses any security/log ons.

I copied the full address of the detail view of a Purchase Order, in our case, from the browser and entered that into the e-mail body. I then replaced the large string of characters which is probably the Record ID with the RECORD ID field like so.

Dean

@Dean2 great idea.

Thanks Dean.
I’m actually looking for a method to automate the the process with no other human intervention.
If a new Organization is added, send an email with a link to that new record’s edit or detail view.
Will your method accomplish that?

Craig:

Here’s my email rule:

Here’s the resulting email.
I’m missing something.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​____________________________________

Ed

What I did in our situation was open a detail view of a Purchase Order in the browser and then copied the entire address and pasted that into the e-mail message. I then replaced the large string of characters which is probably the Record ID with the RECORD ID field like you have done.

Dean

Thanks Dean.
Here’s my situation.
I have 8 users that are my employees that add new Organizations all the time.
They are not builders so they can’t do what you are describing.
This process needs to be automated so when a new organization is added an email is generated to designated recipients that are always the same.
The recipients don’t change.
I recently transitioned from Quick Base which provided that feature.

Ed Cooper

Hi Ed

Unless I’m mistaken, @Dean2 is saying that you should go to the details view the users needs directing to. While you are on that page copy the URL exactly as it is.

Now paste that email into your email that you want to be sent. Where ever you see the long string that represents the knack record id replace it with the record id field.

Craig

My users are not builders so this can’t work.
The only way to do it that I can see is to
copy the details URL and send it in a normal email from an email client.
This should be an automated feature in Knack.
Pretty basic stuff.

Ed Cooper

I believe it is, we are asking you, not your users, to do it
once, in the automated email that you can set when you click on the form, then click emails.

In the email body you can copy the URL from the details page where you want them to go. Replace the long string of digits and numbers with the {record ID} field that you can select when you click the icon on the top right of the email body.

You can either set all your employees as the recipients or just the logged in user.

Once you have done the above every time a user enters an organisation an automated email Will be sent to the recipient/s.

I’m not at my computer or I would give you images. If you are still stuck I can do the images tomorrow.

I am more than happy to help tomorrow if needed. I hope I have been clearer this time.

Craig

Ok thanks.
I’ll give that a try.

Ed Cooper

Images would help.
Thanks

Ed Cooper

Ok I’ll post it first thing in the morning it’s 9pm here.

Unless you’ve got some time @Dean2

Ed

It looks you’re almost there. It seems to be just the full URL you’re missing.

Dean

Morning is fine.
Thanks Craig.
It’s just confusing.

Ed Cooper

Ok thanks. I’ll keep you in the loop.

Ed Cooper

Do I use the details URL?

Ed Cooper

Ed

In our case I opened a Details View of a Purchase Order and copied the entire URL from the address bar & pasted that into the e-mail. So, in your case you’ll probably want to do that for a Details View of an Organization. Then just replace the record ID which is the series of characters contained at the end of the address “/65a73bd8895547002898c3b9/” with the RECORD ID field so that it ends like “/{RECORD ID}/”

Dean

DIdn’t work.
Here’s what I put in:
Knack{RECORD ID}/

Ed

I think that happened to me in the 1st instance of testing and if you Login it takes you to the record.

Once I was already logged in and undertaking further testing of this, the link went directly to the record.

Dean