Dropdown menu great, but is it possible to highlight that menu tab?

Hi,
As my app gets more complicated, I am starting to us dropdown menus (which are great by the way!) to declutter the main menu.

My question is, when a user is in a page that is under that menu, the menu tab is not highlighted. Am I overlooking something or is that as designed?

Example Screenshots

For example, here I am in the change requests page, under settings menu;

It would be more consistent with my other tabs, if I had a way of highlighting that menu tab, like my other tabs are;

With more and more of my pages being nested under a menu, a highlighted menu tab would help users navigate.

Any ideas or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

I’d guess this could be achieved with CSS but I’m not a coder :man_shrugging: - If no one jumps on this thread, there are a few chaps I could highly recommend.

You can contact via the expert network.

https://knackhq.knack.com/expert-network#expert-directory/

They are excellent CSS and JavaScript developers:

Sunny Singla (S&T Consultancy - India :india: )
Johnny Parsons (KnackMods - U.K. :uk: )
Ian Crowe (Knack Pros - USA :us: )

2 Likes

Thanks Carl - I was not even aware of the directory, awesome.

I was close with CSS, for example this is how I format my active tabs;

Current css for active tabs

/* active tab and icons */
#app-menu-list > li.is-active > a { background-color: rgb(239, 241, 243); padding-bottom: 7px !important; margin-bottom: 0px !important; font-size: 100%; font-weight: bolder;
border-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-color: #bcbcbc; }
#app-menu-list > li.is-active > a > span > i {color: #af2d2d; }

My challenge is working out how to tell the tab to be the active tab when I am on a page within that menu. Sort of hoped it would be automatically done by the menu if a page was called from it.

I might even log a support ticket, and then if no joy, will contact an expert.

Thanks again.
Calvin.

Hi @Calvin_B - I suggest reaching out to those I recommend rather than creating a ticket to Knack, they don’t support custom code. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @CarlHolmes
Sorry, I may not have worded that very well, what I meant to say was that I hoped the tab would have been marked as active if the page was called from it (and get style #app-menu-list > li.is-active ) as part of the normal UI, so was going to ask support is that working as designed. Then if there is no plan to make that work, I would contact an expert for some coding on that.
Totally understand custom code is not supported. :smile:
:+1:

1 Like

Hi Calvin
Is this the sort of thing your trying to achieve ?

Or are u wanting the primary tab still highlighted when a sub menu selection has been chosen ?

Ray

Hi @RayWindlow47079 thanks for taking the time to respond, and for the screenshots.

Yes! All I am wanting the the Primary tab for the dropdown menu to be highlighted, when a page in that dropdown menu item is opened. Does that make sense?

Screenshots:

Example normal page highlighted (a page is active from the top menu)

Then if a user clicks on a page in the dropdown

It would be great to show the Setting tab as active

I hope that describes what effect I am after

My challenge is working out how to tell the tab to be the active tab when I am on a page within that menu. And as I mentioned, I sort of hoped it would be automatically done by the menu if a page was called from it?

Any guidance appreciated.
Thank you.