I am very on board with this feature.
For anyone looking for a quick-fix workaround, this is what we came up with for our field usage:
- Let's say we're creating a uniform request system, and two types of users submit requests- Managers and Recruiters. In this system, we need to make sure every uniform request is attached to a user account.
- When a manager submits a request, we assign the account to the submission and change our multiple choice Status field to "Submitted". It immediately pops up in our Uniform Requests table on our Logistics page.
- When a recruiter submits a uniform request, it gets the status "Presubmission". and gets added to a table the recruiter can see. The table has a column with a "Trigger Action" link labeled "Submit".
- If the uniform request has an assigned manager account, the link is visible. Once clicked, the record joins our manager submitted requests on the Logistics page.
- If the account ISN'T assigned, the link is set to hidden, meaning it can't be submitted.
Incidentally, if you have objects that need sub-objects attached, you can have a Count field totaling the number of sub-objects, and only expose the submit link once the requisite sub-objects have been connected.
(I.E. - You have a disciplinary action form, and need attached supporting documents before the form is processed.)