App Updates and Iterations

I am building an app for a client and we are implementing the MVP in their company workflow. The plan was to continually update the app and make it better. The client is a manufacturer that runs 24/7. I am wondering whats the best way to manage updating the app so I can test and run without causing an interruption in use. 

My initial thought is to simply copy the app so we always have one sandbox to test new functions etc. My concern here is the data in the production app and that I'll need to manually import the records to the new app every time we do an update. 

Is this best practice? Is there a better way?

I assume that you are just changing the permissions of pages when in Maintenance mode or is there some other trick I am not aware of? This is a serious drawback of the system when the app is mission critical to the business.

There isn't a really good way to do this yet. I do two things. I copy the app and test the copy and if that works I make the edits in the live app. The other method I use is I created a "maintenance mode" similar to how Word Press does. When it's in maintenance mode certain pages, logins, and other things are restricted. 

Can I hire you to help me answer questions today to get my knack account set up? I know what I am trying to do but I do know how to execute what I want to do? 

Terence Davis 512-431-7573