Using connections to auto populate a field

I have a State and County field in one object and in another object I have the same State and County field but a corresponding number used to track the State and County.

Object 'A' has State, County fields filled in - ex Los Angeles, CA and there is an empty field FIPS Code with is a number sued for every state and county nationwide.

Object 'B' has the same State and County fields but also contains the FIPS Code.

I need Object 'A' to reference the State and County in Object 'B' and update the FIPS Code field in Object 'A' as it is shown in Object 'B'

I have a similar issue. Did you solve this? Thanks!

I can see that there is not too many people interested in this article or there just isn't that many people connected.  I am very surprised that no one from Knack responded.

I am new to Knack and I know this is an old post — but did you get an answer.? I have the same issue. I have a long list of people that can only be connected to one company. I want to be able to choose the person’s name and have the company auto-fill — or better yet, choose the company and be presented with only the connected people as a choice in a drop down.

1 Like

Thank you @DaveParrish from KnackBuilders. Dave was very generous and jumped on a Zoom call with me to walk me through this connection. The answers lie in connecting many to one but also adding attributes to the data points so they are entered with predefined points. Way more detailed than can be explained in this post or is explained in the Knack knowledge base. Dave knows his way around Knack.

2 Likes

Hi! I see that there was a resolution to the request. I have the same ask, but is there an article associated with this post? Can you please share? Thank you!

Hi! I see that there was a resolution to the request. I have the same ask, but is there an article associated with this post? Can you please share? Thank you!

Nicolas - not quite sure of the context of your question, but Knack really isn’t “auto-filling” fields on a form (like you can see in other online forms). What it is doing is capturing other values and inserting them natively into the record you are creating/updating upon clicking the submit button. This is done thru setting up record rules. If you want, reach out to me and we can set up a call for me to see what’s up in your case. Thanks - Dave