Managing pages: creation & what data they can show

Based on my experience coaching people in Knack, one of the most important concepts to understand is how PAGES work. Notably:

• Three ways to create pages
  • What data pages can show

A solid understanding of pages helps you build more effectively & efficiently, and is also essential background knowledge for some more advanced techniques in Knack app development

So I recorded this deep-dive into creating & understanding pages.

This video will be useful for anyone who’s played around in Knack a bit and wants to get serious about building their app, or for someone who wants to solidify their understanding of how Knack pages work to bring their app to the next level.

If you have any questions, please post them below and I’ll do my best to answer.

2 Likes

Well done @Callum.Boase for tackling this rather complex process. :+1:
I notice that you add a menu then add a form. Any reason you don’t add a form and check the option to link from a menu, it saves a couple of steps.

Hi

I think it’s personal preference and the way your brain works. Personally I add the menu then add the form. I know the option is there but I’m building the page first that the form is on. I very rarely build the form then the page the form is on.

Craig

Yep, agreed, it’s a personal choice. Whatever gets the job done and makes sense :laughing:

1 Like

Hi Carl and Craig,

Agreed, it’s personal preference.

I always use the long way of creating a page with a form on it when coaching because I find it makes it clearer to people what each action actually does & helps them grasp the concepts better.

Ie adding an empty menu adds it to the page but nothing else. Then adding a “link to a new page” creates a child page. That child page starts empty but can have anything that data source allows. Then they can add anything they want to the child page (eg a form to edit).

I usually ask people learning the concepts in the video to do one action a time, then stop and see the results in the page tree and the front-end, which really solidifies the understanding of what they’re doing. I show them the shortcuts later.

2 Likes