Display Product Description in Dropdown but store Product Code

I must be dumb I am sure I have done this before but for the life of me I cannot work it out.

I have a Military Units file which has a Unit Name in Full description.

When a service persons record is started there is a dropdown to select the Unit BUT the Unit Codes are not really intuitive so I need to display not only the Unit code but the Description as well.

I dont want to STORE the whole verbose description just the code from the connected file.

I can display the description in a table etc etc but when it comes to actually SETTING the code in the first instance how do I get the dropdown to display both code and description but only store the code ?

Cheers

Hi,

you have to create a field with a text formula that combines the code and the description. Then in the object settings you have to chose that field as the "Display Field". This is what you will see in the drop downs (as well as in the connection field).

You will be able then to show, in table either only the code or the description as well as the combined field.

More info: https://support.knack.com/hc/en-us/articles/229891607-How-to-Show-Multiple-Fields-in-Your-Connection-Drop-Down

Hope this helps