Updating a record in one table

Hi all, apologies if this has been posted (I did a quick search but didn’t find a relevant thread). Knack newbie here. I’m having trouble with a function that should be straightforward. I’m creating a workflow app where different users will update different fields of a customer record in a “Customer Record Table” throughout the workflow. I’m trying to create a Search view on a page where a user can do a lookup for values in a second table (let’s call it Table B) for a specific field of a customer in the Customer Record Table, and once the correct value is found, the user can select it and update that field for that customer in the Customer Record Table. I made the field as “Connection” field type to Table B, but the search does not execute a lookup of Table B values, it’s just blank. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Hi @KevinPW,

Welcome to the Knack community! :tada:

Hmm… that seems potentially like a bug and not something you are doing wrong with your setup. While I have no helpful ideas to share as to why that may be happening, I suggest reaching out to our support team to have them look at your search view and connection field/tables to see what is causing this issue. It could be easily fixable within your app or a general platform bug. You can reach out to them by submitting this form here: Knowledge Base | Create Support Ticket. They will be most happy to help you out!

Thank you for sharing, and if you can, please let us know here in the forum what you or the team are able to find that’s causing the issue. This may help others in the future! :slight_smile:

Happy Building! :rocket: :nerd_face:

Hi @Les thanks for the quick reply. The issue seems to have resolved itself shortly after! Am now able to conduct a look up using Connections to a different table. That leads me to a follow-up question though. If you’re connecting one field in a table to another table that is multi-column / multi-field, is it possible to specify a particular column in the second table you want to connect to?

@KevinPW Wonderful! I’m glad that worked itself out for you :tada:

For your follow-up question:
Connections are solely for connecting one data table to another data table. This means that selecting fields in each table is not a part of the connection process at all. Please let me know if I’m misunderstanding your question. :slight_smile:

To learn more about using connections, please see our Tables & Connections section of the Learning Center and also our section of Work with Connected Records.

Additionally, if you want to learn about how connections work with one of our team members, please check out our Office Hours here to schedule a quick call to go over questions you may have.

Have a great week!